Prunes and Prism

RULES FOR YOUNG LADIES: Some arch advice on snagging a husband. Exercising the mouth into a pretty shape through repetition of certain words seems to have been an indoor sport for young nineteenth-century girls; in Little Dorrit, Charles Dickens' overly bred girl repeats, "papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism." (Merrycoz.org)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

I've Been to Hell's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots.

I never did get back here with those tales of ruined feeling, did I? I have a number of excuses, first and foremost: In 11 days I'm leaving New York City for western Massachusetts, in a desperate bid to reclaim my humanity. Next time I check in, I expect to have an apron of hand-picked apples.

If any of earth's produce has a better name than "Northern Spies," I don't even want to know what it is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Belle de Boskoop", perhaps?

Are you a Frostine I know? That is, someone who used to post as Frostine at the "Who's The Fairest" bulletin board... If so, howdy! (And I've let you know where we are, still posting and blathering about stuff, if you'd care to drop by)

If not, howdy! And enjoy your apples. Right now I am rocking the Pink Ladies here in California.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Michael Lehet said...

Of course the weekend we make a trek to the Big Apple you're out in the country picking apples.

Hope you have a great time!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Jatin Sethi said...

happy anniversary di and jiju msg

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home